Nahko, an Oregon-native born a mix of Apache, Puerto Rican, and Filipino cultures and adopted into an American family, suffered an identity crisis from an early age. When he took up the piano at age six, the unifying power of music entered his life and brought him harmony. Armed with his newfound talent, he set out to bridge the cultural gaps dividing his own psyche. He began producing a public, musical journal of his journey toward personal, spiritual, and communal healing, and thus Medicine for the People was born. Recently, Nahko discussed his successes, his philosophies, his music, and his life with Huffington Post, who called Nahko’s music “beautiful and stirring,” comparing him to Bob Marley and proclaiming him a “musical prophet.”
- Upon releasing their recent album, Dark as Night, on May 21st, Nahko and Medicine for the People blasted through the charts, debuting as the #6 Top Heat Seeker/New Artist Album, #4 Top Alternative New Artist Album, #161 Top 200 Current Album, #36 Top Independent Album and #36 Current Alternative Album.
- Recent headlining sell-outs include Wonder Ballroom in Portland, OR, HopMonk Tavern in Sebastopol, CA, Crocodile Cafe in Seattle, The Cabooze in Minneapolis and The Palace Theater in Hilo, HI.
- Toured with high profile acts including Michael Franti, Xavier Rudd, SOJA and Trevor Hall with festival plays at All Good Music Festival, Wakarusa, Electric Forest, Summer Camp, Floydfest, Symbiosis Gathering, Common Ground and many more.
- Over 1,438,000 views on Aloha Ke Akua fan video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsgP8LkEopM
- Over 195,500 views on the Budding Trees official music video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LsabQV0Yjk
- Over 53,900 fans on the official Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/nahkoandmedicineforthepeople